Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Great google maps

On the way to our weekend away, I had put the whole weekend into a new sat nav that I had purchased. This is a Tomtom start 60, and of course, I wanted to try it out properly. I put in all the addresses we were going to via my home computer before we left, and turned it on and away we went.

Yes, I know I should have checked the route out on a map before we went, but of course with a new Sat Nav, they are so good these days, you get a bit lazy. So it was a shock when after an hour of driving and nowhere near my first destination, the Tomtom screen went blank.

After a lot of swearing, I thought the plug for the in car power might be gone so we pulled into a services to get a new one. The guy there checked ours out, and found it working and said that almost certainly the power socket fuse in the car was gone. 

So there I was with no Sat Nav on the way to Stratford. Now I could have found that OK, but the hotel was in Walsall, and a bit of a journey away from there. So I tried the Google maps on my new phone. I know Google maps have been around for ages, but I had never had a phone good enough to use them while driving. 

But with my new phone, this was a different proposition.I put in my first destination, Stratford, and it found it straight away. From there I searched for the hotel and once again it found it with no problem. And from there the next day, the car park near the canals that we had to park at. 

So it is fair to say, that I am now a big fan of the fantastic Google maps. I have used them at home, like I suppose a lot of us, but never as a Sat Nav. They are as good as my Tomtom, although of course not quite as easy to read, but then that has a five inch screen. but, they are very good indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Roof

The Roof
Inside Cabot Circus in Bristol